Memorial Day Barbecue Sauce
Make a batch of this delectable sauce for the grill-master of your party.
Cook up a jar of this sauce and give it to the host of this year’s Memorial Day barbecue. For information on how to can, visit the National Center for Home Food Preservation.
Makes 1 1/4 Quarts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 canned chipotle chiles packed in adobe sauce, minced, or
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
BBQ Sauce How-To
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, chiles, Worcestershire, vinegar, and molasses. Simmer until reduced by a third, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree sauce in a blender. Season with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate in a jar up to 2 weeks.
Visit MarthStewart.com for: 100 Easy Grilling Recipes