Leave Them Wanting S’More
Ask any kid. The cake is the most important part of any party, especially blowing out the candles. And, while we love traditional cake, it’s fun to pair it with other desserts that fit into the theme of the day. For our woodland birthday party, we’re taking inspiration from a campfire classic to create a decadent cupcake that will leave everyone wanting S’more. No need for a campfire, just a cold glass of milk as the perfect compliment.
Woodland S’more Cupcakes
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix (we like Duncan Hines)
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 8 oz. Semi-Sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 whole crackers)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 jar Marshmallow Fluff
- Kitchen torch (optional)
- Chocolate jimmies, cocoa powder and other toppers
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Place cupcake liners in two (2) muffin tins, and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil and eggs according to package instructions; set aside.
4. In a second large bowl, place the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter; stir until well combined.
5. Place about 1 tablespoon of the graham cracker mix into the bottom of each muffin cup, and press down with a small juice glass or the back of a spoon to make a thin, even layer of crust. Reserve remaining crust mix for the topping.
6. Spoon about two (2) teaspoons of semisweet chocolate into each muffin tin, and place in oven to bake for about five (5) minutes, until edges of crust are golden and chocolate is melted.
7. Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes, and fill each muffin cup with cupcake batter about 3/4 from the top. Sprinkle each cupcake with remaining chocolate and graham cracker mixture. Return to the oven and bake until tops are firm and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean 18-21 minutes. Remove cupcakes from muffin pan and let cool completely.
8. Using a flat spatula, frost each cupcake with a generous amount of marshmallow fluff.
9. Decorating: Use a kitchen torch (optional) to lightly brown the marshmallow and give it a roasted look, or fake it with a dusting of cocoa powder. Place chocolate jimmies and other woodland decorations on top of finished cupcakes to add a festive flare.
Makes 24 standard size cupcakes. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
If you’re short on time, make the cupcake mix by following the package directions, frost with Marshmallow Fluff, and add candy rocks and plastic trees or woodland creatures.
We like the toppers included in this kit:
Visit Momologie.com for more